LED stands for Light Emitting Diode and is a very different type of lightbulb compared to old-fashioned incandescent bulbs or fluorescent lamps. LEDs are very energy efficient and designed to last much longer with regular use. That is why so many new commercial developments are depending on LED lighting solutions. Meanwhile, many homeowners and business owners are converting to LED fixtures.
How LED Bulbs Work
An LED is an electric light source that features a current flowing in only one direction. They are illuminated by the specific movement of electrons within a diode, or semiconductor. This is done through two junctions:
- P-Type: Junctions where electrons are positively charged
- N-Type: Junctions where electrons are negatively charged.
This combination results in a burst of energy that produces excellent light in a very efficient and effective manner.
There are many significant benefits to using LED lighting solutions in your home, office or industrial structure. Here are a few of the most notable advantages.
- Energy Efficiency – The biggest advantage of LED lights is that they are very energy efficient and require much less wattage to power compared to traditional fluorescent or incandescent fixtures. Electricians measure this by using lumens. Depending on the brightness of the bulb, an LED light uses only a fraction of the power that an incandescent light would require.
- Durability – LED bulbs will also last a lot longer than regular bulbs. For example, most incandescent bulbs have a lifespan of around 1,000 hours. Fluorescent bulbs may last up to 10,000 hours. Meanwhile, LED bulbs can last as long as 30,000 hours.
- Eco-Friendliness – Another benefit of LED lights is that they are more eco-friendly. They are recyclable and don’t contain any hazardous mercury. Also, because they are so energy-efficient, it is also good for conservation and your overall carbon footprint.
- Less Heat – Last but not least, LEDs emit approximately 10% of the power that incandescent bulbs will. This means they give off much less heat and there is a lesser risk of fire hazard. The bulbs themselves are always cool to the touch, which makes them easier to replace when they eventually burn out.
It should be noted that LED lighting solutions are going to be more expensive than old school bulbs and fixtures, but you will save money over time and they require a lot less maintenance. To learn more about LED lighting and other energy-saving electrical solutions, contact American Electric today.